A multi language plugin, Bogo.
Author and the plugin name
The name Bogo comes from a Japanese word 母語, which means mother tongue.
I love the concept
The biggest difference of the Bogo compared to the others are,
- Bogo uses the built-in multi language feature of WordPress
- Bogo doesn’t add any new tables to the DB
- And so, less conflicts with other plugins
The built in multi language of WordPerss
WordPress is now translated into many language including Japanese, Thai and all the other languages listed here. It’s based on the gettext software and the work of localization team in each languages.
Bogo expands this capability to let you easily build a multilingual blog on a single WordPress install.
The plugin checks what language files are installed in the WordPress and provides the features below.
- enables you to switch the admin panel language
- enables you to create new post for each article
- provides language switcher widget
- gives you a short code tag ‘[bogo]’
How it looks
You will have language switcher menu on the tool bar.
Here’s how it looks like when I switch the languages.
You will get a new meta box on your post-new.php/post.php pages to make a new post of the existing post.
Users can switch languages through clicking links provided by widget and short code.
Uris works as below.
I installed a Japanese version of the WordPress which has define(‘WP_LANG’, ‘ja’); in the config file.
– home page in Japanese: bogo.loc
– home page in English: bogo.loc/en/
– homepage in Thai: bogo.loc/th/
– ?p=1 post in Japanese: bogo.loc/archives/1
– English translation of the ?p=1 post: bogo.loc/en/archives/27
– Thai translation of the ?p=1 post: bogo.loc/th/archives/32
When I get rid of the WP_LANG or change it into ‘th’, which means Thai, then the uri loses its /en/ or /th/, and Japanese pages got /ja/ just after the home_url.
I really like the simplicity of this plugin and want to use it for my projects and clients’ web site. Before I do, I need to try these
- Custom post types. WordPress › Support » Custom Post Types?
- Categories, tags and other taxonomies, which may come in this spring WordPress › Support » Any way to support categories yet?
- Duplicating custom fields. I want the custom fields copied too. I will see if there’s any hook to enable this.